Russian general in Ukraine removed for strategy criticism: Report
Moscow’s military leadership has reportedly dismissed Major-General Ivan Popov, commander-in-chief of Russia’s 58th Combined Arms Army stationed in southern Ukraine

Moscow’s military leadership has reportedly dismissed Major-General Ivan Popov, commander-in-chief of Russia’s 58th Combined Arms Army stationed in southern Ukraine, over his concerns for troops fighting without rest and criticism of Russian battlefield strategy.
Popov addressed soldiers in a voice message that was circulated on the Telegram messaging app on Wednesday (July 12), saying he had been relieved of his post for criticising Russia’s military inefficiencies in Ukraine.
“I drew attention to the greatest tragedy of modern war – the lack of artillery reconnaissance and counterstrikes and the multiple deaths and injuries caused by enemy artillery,” Popov said, according to the message circulated on the Telegram channel of Duma legislator Andrei Gurulyov.
Popov, whose unit was fighting in the southern Ukrainian region of Zaporizhia, was harshly critical of his superiors.
“The soldiers of the Ukrainian armed forces could not break through our front, but from behind the commander-in-chief dealt us a treacherous blow by decapitating the army at the most critical and tense moment,” Popov said in his message.