US President Donald Trump has threatened to permanently halt funding for the World Health Organisation and withdraw the United States from the United Nations health agency if it, what he said, failed to make any substantive improvements in the next 30 days.
"If the WHO does not commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days, I will make my temporary freeze of United States funding to the WHO permanent and reconsider our membership," Trump told its chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, in a letter.
Mr Trump published the letter on Twitter on May 18 night.
This is the letter sent to Dr. Tedros of the World Health Organization. It is self-explanatory! pic.twitter.com/pF2kzPUpDv— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 19, 2020
Earlier on Monday he accused the WHO of being a "puppet of China".
The president froze US funding for the WHO in April, alleging that it promoted China's "disinformation" about the coronavirus outbreak.
WHO officials, however, have been continuously denying the accusation while China has said it was transparent and open.
On May 18, the WHO said an independent review of the global virus response would begin as early as possible.