No Provincial Council Elections This Year, Says Tilvin Silva in Jaffna
24-May-2026.
Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) General Secretary Tilvin Silva stated that funds allocated in this year’s budget for Provincial Council elections had been diverted towards recovery efforts following the impact of Cyclone Tithva, making it impossible to hold the elections this year.
He further stated that if the Parliamentary Select Committee on the Provincial Council electoral system submits its final report, the government would be prepared to conduct the elections next year.
He also noted that Sri Lanka had not faced any pressure from India regarding the matter.
Tilvin Silva made these remarks to the media following the opening ceremony of the JVP district office in Ariyalai, Jaffna, on May 23.
He further stated:
A new district office has been opened in Jaffna, which will serve as an important centre for strengthening ties between the people of Jaffna, the National People’s Power and the JVP.
Although only two years have passed since coming to power, several changes have already been introduced. Future plans will also be implemented effectively to move the country forward. There will be no room for racism in the future.
Question: Former Army Commander Sarath Fonseka recently stated that he knows where the body of Velupillai Prabhakaran was kept but would not reveal it. What is the government’s position regarding this matter?
Answer: We are unaware of such matters. Sarath Fonseka is not a representative of the government but a former Army Commander. He occasionally makes such statements. The government cannot take responsibility for them and therefore cannot provide clarification.
Question: Will Provincial Council elections be held this year? Is India exerting any pressure regarding the elections?
Answer: Funds had been allocated in the budget for Provincial Council elections. However, the entire country had to face the impact of Cyclone Tithva. Rs. 50 billion was allocated for recovery efforts and relief for affected people. Funds initially allocated for elections were also utilised for relief measures. Therefore, Provincial Council elections cannot be held this year.
There are also legal complications regarding the Provincial Council electoral system. Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe created this issue. A Parliamentary Select Committee has now been appointed to study under which electoral system the Provincial Council elections should be conducted.
If the committee submits its report and no further obstacles arise, elections may be held next year.
India has not exerted pressure regarding Provincial Council elections, and Sri Lanka continues to engage with India diplomatically and cooperatively.
Question: Before coming to power, President Anura Kumara Dissanayake made several promises regarding land release. However, many of those promises still remain unfulfilled, and people in the Northern and Eastern Provinces continue protests demanding the return of their lands.
Answer: Measures have already been initiated to release lands in line with the President’s promises. Viewed objectively and not politically, most military camps in the Northern and Eastern Provinces have been removed during the past one and a half years. Civilian lands and roads have also been released.
Discussions are ongoing with relevant parties regarding the release of the remaining military camps and lands. We will definitely return people’s lands to them.
Certain groups are engaging in protests due to anxiety and political motives, but those actions will not be given special consideration.
We have earned the trust of the people in the North and will fulfil the promises made to them. Those rejected by the people are the ones making false allegations, he said.





